CONSERVATION OF CLOCK TOWER, SCHEDULE A, PRESIDENT’S ESTATE
The building, which is popularly known today as the Clock Tower, is located in the Schedule A of the President’s Estate and was built as the Institute in the Escort Lines. Since 1947, the building has been occupied by the President’s Body Guard as its Regimental Head Quarters. The rooms to the west side are occupied by the Army Guard (Madras Regiment. The building is centrally located in the avenue which runs diagonally and is part of the original design intent of Lutyens. The building plan is based on a perfect square with each side measuring 21.30 metres, chamfered corners that measure 3.35 meters diagonally, the total area being 454 sq.mts. The total height of the structure is 23 mts. The corners have arched alcoves with stone basin and lion head water spouts for fountains. There are projected porches with two circular pillars at the centre of each side, which serve as main entrances. The square plan is basically two tiered. The clock system installed in the tower is inscribed with the name “Pulsynetic”, which indicates that it was manufactured by Gent and Company of Leicester, UK. The company, which had been established in 1872, started making electric clock systems in the early 20th century; these electric clock systems became famous under the name Pulsynetic, and were used to drive tower and other clocks. Gent and Company’s electric clocks adorned many important buildings around the world, including the Royal Liver Building at Liverpool (for long the largest electric clock in the world), Terry’s Confectionary Works in York, Port of London Authority Building in London. The building was precisely documented and analysed by the team of INTACH, Delhi Chapter. Original plaster has been preserved and the tile flooring has been removed and replaced with kota stone flooring. The conical obelisks were repaired. All fire places were cleaned to remove layers of paint and restored to their original design. All the wood work has been cleaned to its original finish and the water tanks and other service installations have been re-located. Appropriate plinth protections (in red sandstone) have been provided all around the building.