CONSERVATION OF CLOCK TOWER, SCHEDULE B, PRESIDENT’S ESTATE
This Clock Tower is located in the Schedule B of the President’s Estate. The building is centrally located in the avenue which runs diagonally and is part of the original design intent of Lutyens. The building plan is based on a perfect square with each side measuring
21.30 meters, chamfered corners that measure 3.35 meters diagonally, the total area being 454 sq mts The total height of the structure is 23mts. The corners have arched alcoves with stone basin and lion head water spouts for fountains. There are projected porches with two circular pillars at the centre of each side, which serve as main entrances. The square plan
is basically two tiered. This structure was originally built for band practice for the British Indian Army. The clock system installed in the tower is inscribed with the name “J.B. Joyce & Co.Ltd, Whitchurch 1924”, which indicates that it was manufactured by J.B. Joyce & Co. in England. The company, which had been established in 1690 in Shropshire, England, started making long case clocks. In 1790 when the company moved to Whitchurch, they started making large clocks for churches and public buildings including principle railway companies. J.B. Joyce & Co. clocks adorned many important buildings around the world, including the East gate clock, Chester installed in 1897, Shanghai Custom House installed in 1927. This company installed several clocks all over the world. The conservation principles used for the conservation of this building are the same as Clock Tower, Schedule A.